RUPCO is working with Friends of Historic Kingston to prepare plans to guide the stabilization, partial restoration and interpretation of the Louw-Bogardus House in Kingston, NY. The goal is to arrest any further decay of the site and create a stable structure suitable for visitation by the public. The intent is to use stabilization techniques that are minimally visible so as to create the least interference with the visitor’s ability to see the surviving structure and visualize the earlier more complete state of the building during its useful lifetime.
Architect Stephen Tilly has made recommendations for the site through a series of four phases: design, construction documents, bidding and construction. Estimated cost for implementation is $67,000.
Located within the Kingston Stockade Historic District, the Low-Bogardus House Ruin was listed on the National Register of Historic Places at the State level on June 13, 1975 and on the State Register of Historic Places on June 23, 1980.
Jennifer Betsworth, New York State Historic Preservation office had this to say in a letter dated March 10, 2016: “The statement of significance focuses almost exclusively on the Kingston Stockade’s history as an early settlement and the first capital of the State of new York. The Stockade settlement was established during the mid-17th century, and the stockade wall was completed in 1658; it was rebuilt after it burned in an attack by native Americans in 1663. The Louw-Bogardus House build c. 1665-1669 near the northwest corner of the stockade, is a rare survivor of the earliest period of construction within and the settlement history of the district. The building was extant during the period when Kingstonserved as New York State’s first capital in 1777, and survived, in a fashion, the British attack on the stockade later that year. 326houses, not including outbuildings, were destroyed; although the Louw-Bogardus house burned, it was immediately rebuilt…
“The Louw-Bogardus House remained in private hands through 1962, when I was damaged by fire. A preliminary archeological excavation, completed in 1969 by Paul Huey of New York State Historic Trust (the precursor of the Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation), indicated that the site had substantial archeological potential to illustrate the history of the stockade and the occupancy of the house during the nearly 300-year period. The 1975 purchase of the ruin and site by the Friends of Historic Kingston contributed to the site’s retention of its historic integrity….”