- WHAT UPGRADES ARE ELIGIBLE UNDER THE AFFORDABLE RENTAL UPGRADE PROGRAM?
The focus of this program is to create rental properties that Ulster County residents can afford while providing funding to small landlords for certain upgrades and repairs. Eligible project expenses will be prioritized in the following order:
- Health and Safety Upgrades: Environmental mitigation for lead, asbestos, mold or radon when feasible in unoccupied spaces structural repairs, flooring replacement for non-cosmetic reasons, repair or replacement of decks, steps, railings, porches
- Accessibility Upgrades: Upgrades to make apartments accessible to residents with disabilities.
- Energy Efficiency Upgrades: Energy efficiency weatherization upgrades, heating system replacement hot water systems window and door replacement
- General Upgrades: Repair or replacement of plumbing fixtures, repair of utility supply lines, drains, vents, and electrical fixtures, chimney repair, general carpentry repairs, roof replacement, electrical service upgrades, or repairs gutter system upgrades and replacement.
This is not an exhaustive list of all eligible upgrades. Applications for repairs will be assessed and prioritized individually using the general prioritizations used above.
- WHAT IS THE FOCUS OF THIS GRANT PROGRAM?
This grant is focused on supporting landlords to complete upgrades to rental units serving households who rent and earn less than 80% of the Ulster County Area Median Income. The grant program will prioritize more serious health and safety upgrades that may be impacting tenants health as well as focusing on accessibility and energy-efficiency upgrades.
- WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA TO APPLY FOR THE GRANT?
ARUP is focused on assisting small local landlords. Applicants must own eight or fewer units to apply for the program. Applicants will be required to demonstrate ownership of eight or fewer units.
- HOW WILL YOU ENSURE THE REPAIRS ARE COMPLETED AND THE RENTAL UNITS STAY AFFORDABLE?
The City of Kingston, Ulster County, and RUPCO will work with grantees to complete the upgrades in a timely manner with minimal disturbance to tenants. RUPCO will monitor rental leases for affordability for all grantees throughout the affordability period for each grantee.
For the City of Kingston, the program is made possible by the City of Kingston’s American Recovery Funds. For Ulster County, the program is made possible by funding provided by the County Legislature.