RUPCO’s NeighborWorks® HomeOwnership Center provides valuable information and services for first-time homebuyers and existing homeowners. Through our Single Family Repair Program, we provide income-eligible residents with grant funding and low-interest loans to make necessary repairs and/or accessibility modifications. Here is what is currently available through our HomeOwnership Center:
RUPCO accesses funding from state, federal and other funders to provide grants to low-income homeowners for improvements and necessary repairs. Each home is evaluated to determine the types of repairs that need to be completed. Items include health and safety hazards, improvement or replacement of outdated systems, structural issues, accessibility modifications, and energy conservation measures. Owners must occupy their residence, and most funding sources don’t allow assistance to manufactured housing.
- Roof Replacement
- Windows and siding
- Interior painting for lead stabilization
- Upgrades to heating, plumbing, or electrical systems
RUPCO currently has a wait list for this program, but we encourage Ulster County Homeowners to submit an application. The household income limits are on the downloadable application attached below. Applicants are determined on a first-come, first-serve basis. Additionally, they are chosen by household type, income or other specifications set by funders. There are specific document requirements to verify ownership, household size and income.
Most funding is provided in the form of a zero-interest deferred loan with a term of 5 or 10 years depending on the funding source requirements. These funds require no payments or interest and are forgiven if residency is verified each year till the end of your term. Other restrictions may apply.
This program is not an immediate or emergency program.
Funding Availability: Not all eligible applicants will be selected. If demand exceeds funding availability, those with most feasible and highest need projects will be selected first.
Basic program requirements:
- Must own and reside in a home in Ulster County
- Must be up to date with mortgage, tax payments and have Homeowners Insurance
- Household total gross income at or below the 100% Area Medium Income limits for Ulster County
- Must have an approved emergency repair need that is within budget
- Dwelling must not have other major repair issues
- Project must be able to complete within 30 days by a qualified contractor.
- The homeowner must be 60 years of age or older
- Property Maintenance Declaration form filed
- Owners must live in the home for 3 years after service
- Homeowners to supply 2 estimates from local contractors
Typical Emergency repairs or replacement covered:
- Failing water heaters, well pumps, pressure tanks, supply lines, septic tanks, fields, drains
- Accessibility improvements such as wheelchair ramps, lifts etc.
- Leaking plumbing, Leaking roofs and failing heating systems
- Electrical safety issues, Broken steps, landings, railings
- Other emergency health and safety issues
Annual gross income limit for household size
|1 person||2 people||3 people||4 people||5 people||6 people||7 people|
For more information or to apply today, contact Sally Dolan 845-331-9860 ext. 227
Program funding is provided based on eligibility, funding availability and project feasibility. Other restrictions and conditions may apply. Funding provided through the NYS Housing Trust Fund Corporation.
Ulster County Veterans with any disability or need for accessibility modifications in their homes or apartments may qualify for assistance
RUPCO and the Ulster County Veteran Service Agency are joining forces to assist Ulster County Veterans with accessibility modifications through the Access to Home Veteran Program.
Accessibility modifications include:
- Visual alarm systems for the hearing impaired
- Roll-in showers with grab bars
- High-rise toilets with grab bars
- Roll-under countertops & sinks
- Wheel chair ramps& vertical lifts
- Interior& exteriorstair lifts
- Automatic door openers
- Front knob appliances
- Automated faucets
- Reclining liftchairs
- Other accessibility needs
Call today for more information, RUPCO (845) 331-9860 or UCVSA (845) 340-3190.