landlord giving keys to home buyer

Become a Section 8 Landlord

Thank you for your interest in becoming a Section 8 landlord. Our community is experiencing an affordable housing crisis and landlords can help keep our neighbors in Ulster and Greene counties housed during this uncertain time while benefiting from reliable and on-time payments, free advertising, and lower vacancy & turnover rates.


About the Section 8 Program

The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program, also known as Section 8, is a Federal program managed by New York State Homes and Community Renewal. The HCV program provides rental assistance to very low-income families. Eligible families are issued “vouchers” that show the family is eligible for rental assistance. Families can choose and lease affordable, privately owned rental housing. Rent is limited to 30-40% of their adjusted monthly income and a subsidy covers the remaining portion of the rent.  


Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I find an HCV Program Participant?
    An approved voucher holder will contact you directly after receiving the rental information from the agency’s bi-weekly apartment listing or your marketing efforts. Landlords are responsible for screening potential tenants and setting the amount of rent and security deposit. 
  • How do I list my apartment for rent?
    To advertise your vacant apartment, please call (845) 331-2140. We will list the apartment for free on our Ulster and Green County apartment listing sheets that are updated weekly. 
  • What forms/documents are required to lease a unit under the HCV Program?
    Owners are required to complete: 
        • A W-9 form
        • Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) – Provides basic information regarding the unit, including its location, size, rent amount and utilities. This form is executed by both the tenant and landlord 
        • Certificate of Liability Insurance – you or your insurance company may fax a copy of your certificate to our office
        • Signing a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract before payment beginning

For a change in ownership, please complete the following forms:

Once the above forms have been submitted to RUPCO, an HCV Program Specialist will determine if the unit is affordable for the tenant. Once the unit is deemed affordable, the Housing Inspector will contact you to schedule the Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspection. When the unit passes inspection, the tenant will be authorized to move in. 

  • When can I expect my first payment?
    Once the tenant is moved in, it will be approximately 60 days until you receive the first Housing Assistance Payment (HAP). Payments are directly deposited on the first of each month into an account designed by the landlord or a paper check will be mailed by Housing Trust Fund Corporation and will be received within 7-business days of the first of the month.
  • Are there any incentives?
    The HCV Program is offering one month’s security deposit assistance for new or existing participants. The HCV Program also offers a one-time rent incentive of one bonus months rent to all Landlords who rent to a Section 8 participant.

Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspections

All property must pass the federal Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Housing Quality Standards (HQS) of being “decent, safe and sanitary” to be approved for the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program. Please review the “Housing Quality Standard for Initial and Annual Inspections” checklist, to prepare the property for approval.  

  • Why does my unit have to pass the HQS Inspection?
    HUD regulations require that RUPCO inspect all units to ensure that they are in safe, decent, and sanitary conditions in accordance with federal Housing Quality Standards. No unit is placed under contract until it is inspected, and all necessary repairs are completed. 
  • How many types of inspections are there?
    There are three types of HQS inspections performed by RUPCO: Initial, Annual and Special. 
  • What is an initial inspection?
    An initial inspection is conducted prior to the tenant(s) moving into the unit. An approval for move-in will not be given until the unit passes inspection. 
  • What does the inspector look for at the initial inspection?
    The inspection focuses on but is not limited to: 

      • Interior – doors, ceilings, wiring, flooring, windows, smoke alarms, and paint 
      • Exterior – roofing, stairs, railings, paint, garbage, and debris removal 
  • What is an annual inspection?
    Each unit under contract must be inspected annually. RUPCO will notify the landlord and tenant by mail of the date of the inspection.