Located at 300 Flatbush Ave., Landmark Place blends historic preservation and new construction to house seniors 55 and older on a 14-acre campus. The site contains the rehabilitated former Kingston Almshouse, now called Landmark West, which is comprised of 34 studio apartments, and a newly constructed four-story building, Landmark East, that houses 32 one-bedroom units.
Completed in 1874, the building designed by J. A. Wood became known as “Kingston City Home” and provided housing and limited medical care to its residents until its closure in the 1940s. Nearly a decade later, Ulster County acquired the empty building and rehabilitated it to serve as the Ulster County Chronic Infirmary. When the infirmary was vacated in 1973, the building was renovated to house the offices of the Ulster County Health Department until 2014.