December 8, 2021
Landmark West was completed in November 2021. Landmark East was completed in August 2022.
Located at 300 Flatbush Ave., Landmark Place blends historic preservation and new construction to house seniors 55 and older on a 14-acre campus. The site contains the rehabilitated former Kingston Almshouse, now called Landmark West, which is comprised of 34 studio apartments, and a newly constructed four-story building, Landmark East, that houses 32 one-bedroom units.
Completed in 1874, the building designed by J. A. Wood became known as “Kingston City Home” and provided housing and limited medical care to its residents until its closure in the 1940s. Nearly a decade later, Ulster County acquired the empty building and rehabilitated it to serve as the Ulster County Chronic Infirmary. When the infirmary was vacated in 1973, the building was renovated to house the offices of the Ulster County Health Department until 2014.
Landmark Place contains 35 units that were set aside for formerly homeless persons who receive on site services that include the following:
These programs are funded through the Empire State Supportive Housing Initiative (ESSHI), which provides a rental and operating subsidy through the New York State Office of Temporary Disability Assistance.
• 24/7 front desk staff in one central location
• On-site laundry
• On-site superintendent
• 24-hour emergency maintenance service
• Energy Star appliances
• Community Room
• Ample garden space
• Proximity to mass transportation routes and privately owned transportation.
• Handicap accessible
Households must be at or below 60% of area median income to be eligible for this property.