Wait Lists for Greene and Ulster Counties Housing Choice Voucher Program/Section 8 are currently closed.

Recent changes to Renter’s Rights are outlined in this NYS brochure on income discrimination.

RUPCO is the local administrator of the Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 Program in Ulster County and Greene Counties. This Federal program, managed by New York State, provides rental assistance for very low-income families. It allows the participant to choose and lease affordable, privately owned, rental housing. We currently administer over 1,662 vouchers in Ulster County and over 246 vouchers in Greene. With these, we are assisting every person in each of those households with their housing needs each year. We manage these programs through offices in Catskill and Kingston and are proud of the staff’s diligence in achieving high marks with their management effectiveness efforts.

Program Operation

The Housing Choice Voucher Program provides rental subsidies to income-eligible households. The program is designed to allow the participant to pay between 30% and 40% of their adjusted monthly income toward their rent and utility costs. The remaining portion of the rent is covered by the subsidy. The maximum amounts paid by the subsidy are determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Eligibility is determined by total annual household income. To be eligible, a total household income must be below HUD’s 50% income guidelines.

When a name reaches the top of the waiting list, the applicant is notified by mail. Once an applicant has reached the top of the waiting list, RUPCO assigns a priority to households with very low income and those whose head of household is elderly, disabled, and/or handicapped. Wonder if you quality? Refer to these quick charts for Ulster and Greene County eligibilities:

For more on Ulster County AMI, visit Affordable Housing Online and NYS Homes & Community Renewal.

For more on Greene County AMI, visit Affordable Housing Online and NYS Homes & Community Renewal.

RUPCO oversees two other rental assistance programs:

Family Self-sufficiency

Housing Assistance for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA)


Print Friendly, PDF & Email