Family Self-Sufficiency Program

The Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS), established by Section 554 of the Cranston-Gonzalez National Affordable Housing Act of 1990, helps residents of public housing and participants on the Housing Choice Voucher program become self-sufficient through education, training, case management, and other supportive services. RUPCO’s FSS Program helps individuals and families, who are receiving Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) rental assistance, to get resources they need to achieve economic self-sufficiency. The major components of the FSS program are a Contract of Participation between RUPCO and the family, an Individualized Training and Services Plan (ITSP), and an interest-bearing escrow account. Credits to a family’s escrow account are based on increased income earned by family members during the term of the contract. Upon successful completion of the FSS contract, a family may claim its escrow account.

The FSS Coordinator meets on a regular basis with participants to help them establish goals with will remove life barriers. Families are connected to resources that can assist them in locating scholarships to colleges and training programs, budgeting, job training, childcare, health services, and counseling.

RUPCO’s FSS Program began in 1998. Since that time, we have celebrated the success of 58 graduates. Several graduates furthered their education, and several others gave up their rental assistance. Fourteen graduates purchased their own home.

For more information about the FSS Program, click here for the print brochure or call RUPCO’s FSS Coordinator Jonny Weinberger at 845.331.2140, ext. 218.

Housing Assistance for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA)

RUPCO offers two forms of special assistance for households impacted by a positive HIV diagnosis.

Long Term: Our long-term assistance program provides rental assistance similar to that of our Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program. Individuals, or families, must be referred by another agency like Aids Related Community Services (ARCS) or Mid-Hudson Care Center. These agencies can provide an application or you can  request one by calling (845) 331-2140, ext. 211. Note that the application requires the referent signature.

Short Term: Our short-term assistance program provides assistance in the form of back rent, back mortgage payments, first month’s rent, and back utility payments. Interested applicants must be referred by Aids Related Community Services or Mid-Hudson Care Center. Applications are available for pick up at 289 Fair Street, Kingston.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email