LANDMARK PLACE – Kingston, NY
Landmark Place blends historic preservation and new constriction to create 66 affordable homes where seniors 55 and older can live with dignity. Located at 300 Flatbush Ave in Kingston, Landmark Place is a 14-acre multi-dwelling campus that provides 66 affordable and supportive homes for seniors 55 and older. The site features the rehabilitated former Kingston Almshouse, now called Landmark West, that houses 34 studio apartments and a newly constructed four-story building, Landmark East, that houses 32 one-bedroom units. Households must be at or below 60% of area median income to be eligible for this property.
- 24/7 front desk staff in one central location
- On-site laundry
- On-site superintendent
- 24-hour emergency maintenance service
- Energy Star appliances
- Community Room
- Ample garden space
- Proximity to mass transportation routes and privately owned transportation.
For additional eligibility requirements and an application for this property, please feel free to contact our offices at 845-331-2140 or download an application.
The benefits of supportive housing are life-changing. In its most basic form, supportive housing starts with an affordable home and adds medical, mental health and wellness care services that benefit residents and the community. On average, access to supportive services saves $16,000 a year per person in local costs compared to hospitalizations, shelters, and institutions.* At Landmark Place, RUPCO provides a robustsupportive services programming for 35 units set aside for formerly homeless persons that include:
- Self-advocacy support
- Medication management and training by an
- On-site Licensed Practical Nurse.
- On-site Behavioral Health Specialist
- Daily living skills training
- Skill development support
- Socialization activities
These programs are funded through the Empire State Supportive Housing Initiative (ESSHI), which provides a rental and operating subsidy through the New York State Office of Temporary
* The Urban Institute. (2019). (rep.). The Costs and Potential Savings of Supportive Housing for Child Welfare–Involved Families.
A HISTORY OF CARING
The history of the Kingston City Almshouse, begins in 1872, when the neighboring villages of Kingston & Rondout merged to form the City of Kingston. It was decided that the first building they should construct would be a place to care for the City’s most vulnerable.
Completed in 1874, the building designed by J. A. Wood became known as “Kingston City Home” and provided housing and limited medical care to its residents until its closure in the 1940s. Nearly a decade later, Ulster County acquired the empty building and rehabilitated it to serve as the Ulster County Chronic Infirmary. When the infirmary was vacated in 1973, the building was renovated to house the offices of the Ulster County Health Department until 2014. Today, 300 Flatbush Avenue is now Landmark Place, a senior and supportive campus that preserves the physical and civic heritage of caring for the City’s most at-risk citizens.