YouthBuild Career Specialist
Full time Newburgh, NY – 35 hour work week
Job Posting date: 10/6/21
This position reports directly to the YouthBuild Director. The YouthBuild Career Specialist focuses on preparing young adults in the YouthBuild programs to enter college and careers. The Career Specialist matches student interests and abilities with career pathways. Matching students to career pathways is critical for achieving participant and program grant outcomes and requires attention to detail, documentation, and reporting. The Career Specialist will build and sustain successful partnerships with businesses, colleges, and community agencies to develop college and work experience opportunities, including job shadowing, internships, on-the-job training, full and part-time employment in a field of choice, bridge programs, and college.
This full-time position has duties that may include, but are not limited to:
● Demonstrates respect for all program participants
● Able to help members identify and overcome barriers to job placement before the end of the program with a goal of full-time employment
● Seek out business partners for placement, job shadowing, internships, mock interviews, guest speakers, and job placement resources
● Develops partnerships with construction and health-related businesses to secure apprenticeships and possible employment for participants exiting the program
● Creates and maintains a database of business and employment partners, members, and alumni
● Manages the Newburgh YouthBuild Internship Program
● Evaluate the local, state, and national job markets for demand
● Assist the program team participants to identify competencies, interests, and experience for inclusion in an Individual Development Plans
● Conducts one-on-one and classroom job readiness instruction, including resume development, interviewing skill techniques, acceptable work behaviors, and other necessary job prep training
● Develops college readiness and college placement plans with students
● Provides follow up services to promote career advancements and continuing success of participants
● Plans and implements alumni events while managing alumni relations. Assists alumni entering new jobs or college
Required Knowledge, Skills, Education, and Experience:
Must have good communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work with diverse groups, and strong command of the English Language. Computer literacy, including proficiency in Microsoft Office. Must
have current driver’s license.
● BS/AS degree in business, marketing, or relevant area of study. Preferred two years of experience in working
with youth (16 and up)
The candidate must be flexible, compassionate, creative, organized, motivated, and have a verifiable understanding of the services and resources available in the community.
Please submit a letter of interest, including a summary of qualifications for this position Emma Hambright at email@example.com .