Located at 2 Main Street, the Kirkland is a cornerstone of the Kingston Stockade Historic District. RUPCO acquired the building in 2002 when it was at risk of demolition. In 1899 Margaret Conklin purchased the land and built a boarding home for those who came to work at the local factories and eventually became a hotel in 1922. Max and Ruth Brugmann took over operations in 1950 and opened the legendary restaurant and bar ‘Dutch Rathskellar’ in the hotel basement, becoming one of the hottest spots in town until its closure in 1972.
RUPCO began restoration activities on the vacant building in 2006 and completed the project in 2008. The original domed cupola was rebuilt as well as an impressive wrap-around porch circling two sides of the building. A geothermal system of multiple closed-loop, ground-source wells was installed under the parking lot, along with a permeable paver system to address stormwater absorption.
The Tudor-revival style building is home to RUPCO’s administrative offices for Finance, Real Estate Development, Community Development and Communications. The third and fourth floors house seven one-bedroom and one studio units.
RUPCO does not maintain a waiting list for this property; when rentals become available, they will be advertised in local newspapers, on this website, as well as posted in our offices.
kirkland event facility