The handsome yellow brick building at 289 Fair Street is home to RUPCO’s headquarters. The remaining floors feature 40 one-bedroom supportive housing apartments for formerly homeless seniors and disabled adults funded through a New York State Supportive Housing Program (NYSSHP) grant award that provides affordable housing and case management services to residents.
Built in 1910-1911, the Stuyvesant was designed by architect J.A. Wood and quickly became the grandest hostelry in town. The handsome building adorned by marble columns flanking the main entrance advertised 150 rooms and a restaurant with banquet facilities. By the 1960’s, the hotel had deteriorated due to a fire and eventually closed in 1981. The building sat vacant for nearly a decade until RUPCO purchased it and secured funding for its historic preservation. Completed in 1993, the restoration of the Stuyvesant acted as a catalyst to the Up Town Kingston neighborhood revitalization, bringing life back to the Stockade District.